Welcome assembly gets students excited for new year

Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior Riley Clarke leads ERHS through the

Senior Riley Clarke leads ERHS through the "Jag Jacket" cheer at a pep assembly Sept. 4.

Mikayla Jennings

Mikayla Jennings

Mikayla Jennings

Last Thursday, Sept. 4 during the advisory and Jag Time block hour, ERHS had their first spirit assembly of the new school year. Sophomores piled in to the upper bleachers, juniors claimed their place on the floor level bleachers, and seniors took their spot on the senior bleachers. Students in all three grades were decked out in spirit wear. Amidst performances from the cheerleaders, dance team, and drumline, new teachers were announced and presented to the student body. Each new staff member was asked a random question and students cheered their responses.

As tradition mandates, the Jag Jacket was presented to a senior for the assembly. Previous to the presentation to senior Riley Clarke, athletic director Dell Dittus provided the audience with an intense history of the jacket. Afterwards, Clarke came out onto the gym floor and led students in the Jag Jacket cheer.

Just as in previous years, ERHS staff again created a video to kick off the year. The song for this year was “We’re All in This Together” from Disney Channel’s “High School Musical.” The video showed faculty members dancing to the song in a series of locations, including their own class rooms. Following the video, they raced out onto the floor and performed a section of the dance, upon which time they were joined by a large amount of the senior and junior sections, quickly turning into something of a mosh pit.