Book Review: Stalking Jack the Ripper

Brooke Gray, Student Life Editor

In the book Stalking Jack the Ripper a creepy mystery romance novel is held in 1888 London the time when bodies of women who are harvested by the famous Leather Apron also globally known as Jack the Ripper. This Fiction book with historical facts follows Audrey Rose Wandsworth and Thomas Creswell in their adventures of tracking down the killer to end the massacre.

Audrey, a lord’s daughter with a life of wealth, social events and rich silk dresses, has a secret life her stern father wouldn’t approve of working alongside in her uncle’s laboratory where a time no women would work in a gruesome practice of forensic medicine. Her work of stitching up damaged bodies to seek the cause of death and taking down evidence of crime scenes.

When bodies start to continue to come in the streets of London her desire to figure out the killer of the murders had her partnered up with once hated companion Thomas Cresswell another student working with her uncle. Helping another blending into the shadows searching for who is Jack the Ripper is before another victim.

This horror novel had me glued to each page with all the shocking twists and turns of this sinister story that happened in the past. The only thing I disliked about the book was that I guessed who the killer was and how the supposably blood-chilling conclusion ended in a lukewarm feeling leaving me disappointed.

Yet I do give the author some credit of how many times I changed my guess from how each character acted making me rethink who the killer is. This story does give me a Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley the author of frankenstein and all of Stephen King novel vibes which if you liked either you would enjoy this novel.

It has a little of everything for everyone; death for people who love horror novels, love for those into romance, history for the ones who enjoy what happened in the past, and mystery for the people looking for their brain to grind their gears.

This is the type of book where you have a long free day to have the whole book makes sense, if you take breaks you may forget what happened (like I did). So check out Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco.