Bidding Farewell to Rock Legend Tom Petty

Back to Article
Back to Article

Quentin Kean, Entertainment Editor

Oct. 2, 2017, Rock & Roll legend Tom Petty had suffered cardiac arrest in his California home in the early hours of the morning. He had been rushed to the hospital and put on life support immediately. Once many media posts had found out about what happened, they started posting that he had died after fighting for his life until about 1p.m. Pacific time. Even the Los Angeles Police Department pronounced him officially dead.

Shortly after that statement was posted and forwarded all around the world, a new statement had been released saying he was still alive, he wouldn’t back down. Petty fought until about 9p.m. the same day when his friends, bandmates, and family had decided to pull him off life support as he was pronounced brain dead.

Tom Petty had such a huge impact on all kinds of music, musicians, fans, and entertainment in general.

Petty throughout his 40 years of performing released a ton of music playing with many other music legends including Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Stevie Nicks, and many others.

August 19th 2017, Safeco Field in Seattle, Tom Petty rocked the stadium and put on a great show according to many. Our very own Mrs. Koch had attended the concert on that hot summer night.

“It was such a great show, it was my first time seeing him. My favorite songs he played were “Free Fallin’” or “Into the Great Wide Open.” Koch said.

Koch always listened to Tom Petty while growing up, and going to the concert was her favorite Tom Petty memory she got to enjoy the concert with her husband, sister, and brother-in-law.

Senior Ryan Walton, a huge Tom Petty fan also was at the concert at Safeco Field. That was Walton’s first time seeing Petty and he’s glad he did due to Petty’s unexpected death. “Learning to Fly” and “Wildflowers” were the highlights of the concert for him. When Walton was younger his uncle had gave him a “Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers” greatest hits CD to listen to and that’s when he started to listen to Tom Petty.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers was inducted into the Rock & Roll in 2002. He’s arguably one of the greatest rock & roll artists and musicians of all times. Petty was 66 years old when he had passed away. RIP Tom Petty.