Volleyball Enjoys Bounce-back Season, Finishes Third at State

Back to Article
Back to Article

Quentin Kean, Entertainment Editor

A year after the SPSL south shuffled its members, ER Volleyball struck gold, winning league and district honors and finishing third in state. Emerging from the 4A championships in Kennnewick November 11th with a loss only to state champs Auburn-Riverside, Jaguar volleyball can take pride in a successful season.

“This season our record is much better than last year, what’s lead to that is the effort they’re putting in inside the gym practicing a lot more and spending more time together. This year we just want to get it done,” senior Kava Durr said.

The Jags are 100% healthy this season and are running the league with the one loss to Puyallup.

Durr was talking about her hardest game of this season being Curtis, but the Jags knocked off the undefeated Curtis Vikings on their own senior night in four sets. That put the Jags tied for first in league with three other teams.

Senior Tayler Templeman touched on what has made this season go much better was the fact that they’ve been avoiding injuries and have been working hard.

“Meeting all the people and creating the lifelong friendships has been the best part of volleyball to me and has always lead to some of my favorite memories,” Templeman said.

At every home game, the Jags student section, known as the Boom Squad, showed up and cheered on their girls as they played tough against opposing schools. The amount of spirit the student section brought was usually unmatched even at away games. The student section was always decked out in Jag gear, due to the players throwing out items before games.

Three seniors committed to going to play college volleyball. Durr is committed to Colorado State University, Tayler Templeman is committed to California State University of East Bay to play and start on her nursing degree, and Jadyn Mullen is will be going to Corban University in Salem Oregon, an NAIA school, to major in Elementary Education.