JAG Spirit Turns Out For King 5 Pep Assembly

Students+turn+out+in+pink+to+support+breast+cancer+at+the+KING+5+spirit+assembly+October+19th.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Students turn out in pink to support breast cancer at the KING 5 spirit assembly October 19th.

Dyana Utz

Dyana Utz

Dyana Utz

Dyana Utz, Reporter

Once per year we get a shot to do a  pep assembly right when KING 5 comes to ER.  Last Friday at 0 freaking 600 AM was that day.  Athletic Director Jesse Kase our go-to-guy to coordinate things between the television station and our student body.

“Compared to last year the attendance was might have been smaller but we were not lacking in spirit,” Kase said,

He reminded me we lost last year’s spirit competition to Puyallup High School.  Most people don’t understand the reason for school spirit or why it is so important, and that is why this type of assembly is often poorly attended.

“School spirit is critical to the success of all the activities that are going on here [at Emerald Ridge] and it is kind of like the heartbeat of the school, and this pep assembly just accelerated our heart rate.”  Kase said.

Despite the small number of attendees, it was still plenty loud and and showed lots of JAG spirit. All the elements that lead the cheers and produce the noise were present in full- throated support. KING 5 newsie Michele Li covered the assembly and was impressed with the noise.

“This was the best and most spirited pep assembly I have ever been to,” Li said”   

Kase was  thankful for the turnout.  He also appreciated the contributions of groups who regularly support pep assemblies and school spirit.

“Shout out to the National Guard for being there and bringing donuts, and to the drumline and pep band for being there so early,” Kase said, “also a big shout out to the cheer team and