Goodbye; Chris Cornell

Quentin Kean, Reporter

May 18th 2017, Music legend Chris Cornell was found and pronounced dead in his Detroit hotel room, due to suicide. Cornell was the lead singer of Soundgarden, Audioslave, and had put together the “supergroup” Temple of the Dog, which was a band formed from Seattle music legends. They produced one record in memory of a lost friend, Andrew Wood another lead singer from Seattle. Chris Cornell had a style unlike anyone else.

“…his body fully clothed on the floor about 12.05am.” Bhatia said.

Cornell had performed the night before the suicide and the final song the band soundgarden had played of that night he had added the lyrics from the led zeppelin song “in my time of dying”  the lyrics

“’In my time of dying, I want nobody to mourn. All I want for you to do is take my body home. Well, well, well, so I can die easy.’” Bhatia reports.

While all of this is sad and devastating Cornell accomplished so much is his shortened career. From his work with Soundgarden, one of the forerunners for Seattle rock and the 90’s. In 1990 he had gathered together some fellow Seattle musicians to form the band “Temple of the Dog” who had been a tribute band for the singer of Mother Love Bone Andrew Wood. Temple of the Dog was considered the super band as is had Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament and had a guest appearance from Eddie Vedder. Later on in his career he would go and record 3 albums with audioslave, which was the band Rage Against the Machine just with Cornell singing. Along with the the bands he had been apart of he had a very decorated solo career. Cornell released 5 solo albums and was nominated for 18 total music awards between the bands and his solo work.

The legacy Cornell left behind is next to none, as his ability to sing and lead a band will never be replicated other rock legends such as alice cooper had spoke on his death.

“Chris Cornell, in our circle, was known as ‘The Voice’ because he had the best voice in rock and roll. I was lucky enough to write and record two songs with him. His death comes as a total shock to all of us. ‘Black Hole Sun’ will live on as a classic, and his is a true legacy of rock and roll.” Said Cooper.

Cornell you will be missed.

July 20, 1964-May 18, 2017