Junior Achievement Program

Back to Article
Back to Article

Junior Achievement Program

Dakota Nagler, Reporter

The Junior Achievement Program is the nation’s largest organization dedicated to giving young people the knowledge and skills needed to own their economic success, plan for their futures, and make smart academic and economic choices. The programs main purpose is to inspire and prepare young people to succeed in a global economy.

The organization was founded in 1919 by Theodore Vail, president of American Telephone and Telegraph; Horace Moses, president of Strathmore Paper Co.; and senator Murray Crane of Massachusetts. The First program, was offered to high school students on an after-school basis. In 1975, the organization entered the classroom with the introduction of Project Business for the middle grades and over the last 39  years, Junior Achievement has expanded its activities and broadened its scope to include in-school and after-school students.

Some of our fellow students at ER who are also in the business and marketing class are taking part of the Junior Achievement Program by volunteering to go to nearby elementary schools and teach in a specific classroom and teach a total of 5 lessons to 1st – 6th graders.

Mrs. Russell, the business and marketing teacher, had students in  her advanced classes volunteer to take part of the program and teach at different elementary schools about community, and help them to get  a starting edge in life.

“A great way to get young students to get involved in Business with fun interactive activities. It’s beneficial for students to plan, organize as well as communicate with other different audience” Russell said.

She believes it’s helpful to help build community relations between high school and elementary schools as well as allow high school students to teach learning concepts with other students.