New Housing Developments Ensure a Steady Future for Schools

Back to Article
Back to Article

Tristan Crawford, Reporter

As Emerald Ridge continues to expand, the area surrounding it teems with life and newfound activity. You may have noticed the recent additions of neighborhoods growing over the last two years, extending their reach further and further along our schools street, and the conversion of areas that were once full of wildlife, into homes for a more domestic crowd. Across the street from the main Emerald Ridge parking lot, there’s even more neighborhood construction going on, the Pierce County Public Records Office calling it simply a “Residential Resource” for now. What this means for Emerald Ridge itself is even more progression and growth of the yearly student base, and for the city of Puyallup, more citizens.

While some people may be concerned with the city’s population already, for others it’s a good tiding. The more people in Puyallup and South HIll that there are, the more money there is to be made, the more opportunity for new businesses, for creativities, for prodigious people to be an important part of our society, school, and our daily lives.

“For me it’s not a surprise to see, we are the fastest growing area of the Puyallup School District.” said assistant principal Eric Hogan. “We’ve heard the houses will attract typically elementary age kids, these types of homes are usually people’s second homes, so we’re looking at a steady future of students, in the next four, five, six years.”

Another focus point of some people in the community is the nature that had to be disrupted for these homes. In 2014, the area was still all trees, and though it’s always been planned to be made into homes it wasn’t until recently that those advances were made.

“For me, working in schools, my perspective may be different than someone who’s been here longer than I have. When I came to this district about ten years ago, it was right before the big economic recession, it was the year they were building Glacier View and I heard that the area was going to be all homes,” Hogan said. “ And as beautiful as the trees were, all I could see is that they were bringing them down.”