AP testing for honors students

Sophia Leidy, Reporter

Advanced placement (AP) courses are offered to students to earn college credit for the subject, saving time and money in higher education. The courses are more rigorous than their alternatives, and involve one major difference – the exam at the end of the year.

AP tests are infamous for their duration and difficulty level. April showers are said to bring May flowers, but along with them comes a stacked schedule of exams, each one between three to four hours in length. These tests are the culmination of everything learned in a course throughout the year. They cost a pretty penny – around $93 each – though there is financial aid if necessary. Here’s the kicker: if a student scores below a three on their exam, they receive no college credit for the class.

There’s quite a bit of pressure leading up to these exams. A low score is effort and money wasted, and in some classes, the AP test also functions as the final exam. For students taking more than one AP class, it’s an even bigger challenge.

“I’m taking AP Government, AP Statistics and AP World,” senior Bradley Elliott said.

Elliott moved to Washington from Okinawa, Japan at the beginning of the school year, and dove headfirst into academia. He admits that his course load is a bit tougher than expected – mostly due to the amount of homework assigned – and that it takes its toll on his grade point average. His largest misgiving is the scheduling of two of his AP exams.

“On May 12th I have my world history and stats test,” Elliot said. “One is right after the other, with no break in between.”

AP testing is an ordeal; the classes are time consuming, and the tests can be stressful – especially when you have multiple in a day – but for college-bound students, it seems to be well worth the struggle.