The Fate of the Furious review

Audrey Burg, Online Editor

On April 14th, 2017 F. Gary Gray’s Fate and the Furious hit theaters. It’s the eighth movie in the Fast and The Furious franchise which started in 2001.

This film earned a 7.4/10 on IMDb and a 56% on Moviefone. According to bbc.com the film made over $532.5 million worldwide during the opening weekend, which out sold Star Wars: The Force Awakens by $3.5 million.

The movie is approximately 2 hours and 17 minutes long; with a rating of PG-13 for prolonged sequences of violence and destruction, suggestive content and language. The film stars Vin Diesel as Dominic Toretto, Dwayne Johnson as Luke Hobbs, Jason Statham as Ian Shaw and Michelle Rodriguez as Letty Ortiz. The screenplay is written by Chris Morgan who also wrote the screenplay for Fast and the Furious movies 3 through 8.

Paul Walker will be greatly missed; however, that doesn’t dull from the fast action and shocking reveals in this film. Just like the other 7 movies Fate of the Furious has just about a dash of everything: fast cars, pretty girls, endless fights and of course the signature villain. This movie starts off in Havana, Cuba where the dynamic duo Dom and Letty are enjoying their honeymoon. Where Dom bets the man with the fastest car in Cuba to a race, unshockingly he wins while driving an ancient beater car. During their time in Havana is where Dom encounters Cipher and she takes the opportunity to provoke him into taking her side. After his confrontation with Cipher Dom and the team join forces with Luke Hobbs a Diplomatic Security Service agent; to retrieve an EMP which is hidden on a military base in Berlin.

Later, Dom is sent by Cipher to New York City to obtain a nuclear football which is being protected by the Russian Minister of Defense. Amazingly he gets around her with a diversion created by Fernando in order to convince Magdalene Shaw who is Deckard and Owen’s mother to help Dom. However, he is sent to Russia by none other than Cipher to utilize the EMP to disable a nuclear submarine; this would enable her to hack into the system to provoke a nuclear war.

Furthermore, fans were overall truly impressed with the newest film in this franchise. This film doesn’t disappoint with consistently using action and fast cars throughout the franchise although, the film had a more elaborated story line than any of the Furious movies. This doesn’t dull from the fact that you’ll be on the edge of your seat the whole movie and leave with a rush of excitement from the action packed scenes.