National Championship game Tar Heels vs Bulldogs

Daniel Gregory, Reporter

For the first time in NCAA history Gonzaga University made its first appearance to the Final Four. On the other hand there is the dreaded beast of the tournament, the North Carolina Tar Heels. They both entered the tournament as number 1 seeds.

Last year the Tar Heels lost a heartbreaker as they had been defeated by Villanova at the buzzer.

“The Tar Heels (33-7) tried not to make the year all about redemption, even though the players had a season-long group text message chat titled ‘Redemption’ “ said Victor Mather, Marc Tracy, and Zach Schonbrun of The New York Times.

Gonzaga entered the tournament with possibly one of the strongest teams they have had, as they only had one loss all season. They were led by junior point guard Nigel Williams-Goss, a finalist for the John R. Wooden award, which goes to the best college basketball player of the year. North Carolina returned with many players who ended last season disappointed after the championship loss. Junior small forward Justin Jackson of North Carolina was also a John R. Wooden award finalist.

North Carolina Coach Roy Williams said “it was an ugly game” as many people were complaining about the officiating.

“Let these kids play. Put the whistles away” a tweet by NBA superstar Dwyane wade.

In a 40 minute basketball game Monday night, there was 44 fouls called. Starters were fouling out with five minutes to go and what had the potential to be a fast paced game, turned into a sloppily played game.

“I expected it to be more fast paced, and I was hoping it would come down to a last shot at the buzzer like last year” said senior Chase McGuire.

As it came down to it with two minutes left the score was 65-65 but North Carolina stepped it up on the defensive end, and finished the game on an 8-0 run. They made the big shots when they needed to, and got some huge stops on defense. North Carolina ended up going on to win and ‘redeem’ last year’s loss at the buzzer. This was Roy Williams third national title as head coach of the Tar Heels and the 6th national title in school history.