The Great Car Dilemma

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Great Car Dilemma

Caleb Walter-Goodspeed, Editorial Board

“Stop! Where is your pass?!” This phrase is frequently heard when you try to walk out to your car without a pass. Security has been cracking down recently on people who go out to their cars because of the people who attempt to leave during lunch. This has been a problem for years and people have not been happy about the amped up security.

Now you must have your planner signed as well as signing out in the office before you go out to your car at any time other than lunch. The implemented rule has made many students upset at the harsh reality that our security is doing its job.

Our security guards are usually very lenient to people who go to their cars but our admin would rather have people check into the office before they go out. Senior Kyle O’Bryant feels like “the rules are not needed because half the time I want to leave stuff in my car that I don’t need to carry around.” He also relayed that he would like to see our administrators be a little “more flexible” with people who need to go to their cars. Students sometimes do not realize that having to go out to your car with a pass is a privilege because people often break the rules and end up skipping school when they leave to go to their car. Our admin closed the campus to the school because people were using the privilege they were given to skip school and not returning.

If students continue to break the rules that the admin set we may lose our privileges of getting a note to even go out to our cars. The rules are not that hard to follow but some people seem to be abusing the chances we have been given. Senior Jesse Cruz stated that he thinks “the rules are easy to follow, I don’t get why some people are abusing the privileges we have been given.” Let’s try not to lose the option of being able to go out to our cars just because some people want to skip school while using that opportunity.