Special Olympics Bowling

Brendan Pyper, Editorial Board

The Emerald Ridge Special Olympics Bowling team is practicing every Wednesday for the upcoming tournament this month in Tacoma at Pacific Lanes. The goal of the sport is to make friends and have fun in a safe, and comforting environment while taking part in some friendly competition.

Parent and bowling director Crystal Harrison shared some of her thoughts about the sport and how it helps the student athletes.

“The most important reason for being here is friendship,” Harrison said. Her experience in being a parent greatly affects her motivation to help the children connect on a more one-on-one basis. “It’s good for them to come and hang out with their friends.”

Regular education peer partner Kaeli Gravseth shared her experiences with attending and participating in special olympics sports. “I want to be a special education teacher, so the more experience I have, it will benefit me for my career,” Gravseth said. It’s no doubt that the field of special education can be a more difficult one, due to the large amount of experience and knowledge it requires. “I like helping them because it challenges me to improve my communication skills. Each student is different, and each student has their own comfortability.”

This is only Emerald Ridge’s second year participating in special olympics bowling, but we have been playing basketball longer. Our special education sports program is always looking for more peer partners to come by and have fun with the whole group. Bowling practice is every Wednesday leading up to the tournament, and basketball starts this December. If you are interested, you should definitely contact Crystal as soon as possible.