Reflecting on Senior Season

Audrey Burg, Online Editor

Senior Andrew Noel has been playing football as an offensive lineman for eleven years.

“I’ve always loved football, I’ve been playing since I was a little kid,” Noel said.

He’s made really good relationships with some of the guys on his team. He wanted to play the sport with his brothers on the same team.

At King of the Hill there’s a lot of eagerness and energy going on during the game. It’s Emerald Ridge’s rivalry game against Rogers that happens once every year. Occasionally players might make some unnecessary moves like face masking, holding, horse collar, etc.

“People are going to take cheap shots and blind side people. I just happened to be at the right place at the wrong time and I got hit from the side,” Noel said.

Some players get injured so bad that they have to be taken straight to the hospital in the middle of the game. Others who are more fortunate may only get a minor injury and not need to be taken to the hospital right away.

There are many injuries that a player could get while playing football and some of these injuries can be fatal. One of the most common injuries is a concussion, which is a change in mental state due to a traumatic impact.

An additional one that is very common are heat injuries which are a major concern for youth football players. It usually occurs in August with some of the hottest temperatures and humidity occur. Intense physical activity can cause excessive sweating that drains the body of salt and water. If not treated with body cooling and fluid replacement, this can cause heat exhaustion and heat stroke – which can result in death.

“[It] ended up ending my senior season,” Noel said.