King of the hill 2015

Back to Article
Back to Article

King of the hill 2015

Caleb Walter-Goodspeed, Reporter

“JUST LIKE LAST YEAR!” The sound of the Emerald Ridge student section resounded throughout Sparks Stadium as the Jaguars ran away with the win 35-21 against the Rogers Rams last Friday Night. The game was closer than the score indicates but the Jags took the lead on a touchdown pass from quarterback Logan Skoda to Daniel Gregory.

Seconds after the Jags kicked off back to the Rams, safety DJ Resnik, intercepted the Rogers pass on first down and returned it 9 yards for a score. Rogers came storming back after Jaguars linebacker Nathen Mace got ejected after an illegal hit. The ejection proved as a turning point in the game as a few plays later, the Rogers quarterback broke off a run for 54 yards which resulted in a score. The Jags went into the second quarter leading 14-7 then Logan Skoda led them on a great drive down the field resulting in a 7 yard pass and catch from Skoda to Resnik for a second touchdown for both players.

Surprisingly, it happened to be Resnik’s first offensive touchdown of his varsity career. Rogers ended the half with two great drives tying the game up at 21 all as both teams headed to the locker room. There must have been something that the coaches said to senior running back Waipa Hoopii because he came out in the second half with a fire that the Rogers defense could not stop.
    Hoopii ran for a 77 yard touchdown with almost 3 minutes to go in the third quarter and after this explosive play to give the Jags the lead, they never looked back. DJ Resnik picked off another pass to set the Jags up with great field position which led to another Hoopii run and score. Resnik picked off his third pass of the night to seal the win and give the Jags back to back victories in the King of The Hill series for the first time in school history. The Jags have a home game this Friday night at 7:00 against Bethel.   

DSC_1551 - Click to view full size photo