New country album gets off to a good start

'Start Here' album cover

'Start Here' album cover

'Start Here' album cover

Melina Stone, Reporter

“Start Here” is a new country album that was released Aug. 28, 2015 by two newcomers in the country industry Maddie Marlow and Tae Dye who go by just Maddie and Tae. The album features #1 songs like “Girl in a Country Song” and “Fly”. Maddie and Tae released their first single “Girl in a Country Song” last summer while expressing their feelings toward how country music has developed a sense that girls have to act a certain way if they are “country”. Since then the duo has written more songs and started touring around some parts of the U.S.

The album has many interesting parts to it. The songs are all meaningful and motivational. “Fly” is a song they intended for young girls to know that it’s okay to have doubts and you don’t need to have to have everything planned out it is relatable to them because they didn’t know that we’re going to be this big when they started and they have made many mistakes since then. The CD also talks about topics like heartbreak, (“Smoke”), bullying (“Sierra”) and coming of age (“The Downside of Growing Up”).  “Your Side of Town” is an upbeat song talking about a breakup and how the guy better stay of their stomping grounds. It stuck out to me more than the other songs because it’s faster and more fun to listen to than the more deep songs.

The album also has some things it could improve. On such as “Shut Up and Fish”. The song is good it’s just also a song that is about a “girl who really wants to be fishing while the guy rather be kissing and how she gets madder than a hornet in an old coke can.” The song “Waiting on a Plane” is another good song it just repeats itself a lot.
     Maddie and Tae hope they can connect to all the people who listen to them in someway. The girls hope that they can be like Taylor Swift in the way she relates to all her fans by being honest and the way she writes about what is currently going on in her life.