Flab Five rocks the house

Rock band the Flab Five performs two shows at Emerald Ridge

Back to Article
Back to Article

Flab Five rocks the house

The Flab Five perform in the ERHS auditorium May 27. The Flab Five are (left to right), Chris Tavern, Brad Mirk, Kurt McKee, Ken Fidler and Scott Fry (drummer, not pictured), all ER teachers.

Chase Charaba

Chase Charaba

Chase Charaba

On May 27 the curtains in the auditorium flew their separate ways, revealing the energetic and all-star teacher lineup that is the Flab Five.

Made up of AP U.S. government and politics teacher Brad Mirk, drama teacher Chris Tavern, chemistry teacher Ken Fidler, choir teacher Kurt McKee and band teacher Scott Fry, the Flab Five is the newest rock ‘n’ roll band to reach the ears of Emerald Ridge students and staff.

The band performed a four song set of Beatles songs exclusively for all three lunches immediately following Memorial Day weekend, covering tracks such as  “A Hard Day’s Night,” “You Can’t Do That,” “Get Back” and “Revolution.”

“We got to talking about it back on the conference day,when we were down in the Commons, and we thought it sounded like a good idea to do for the Ultimate Jaguar assembly,” Mirk said.

However, because of SBA testing, the annual tradition was canceled for the year, prompting the band to try and find another day to perform.

“We thought about lunch time and there was no space in the Commons to set up and play, so we thought about the auditorium,” Mirk said.

Mirk was the one who suggested playing songs by the Beatles originally. He grew up listening to the Beatles and finds a lot of influence from them. He even has posters of the Beatles hung up in his second floor classroom.

“First thing I remember when I was little was my mom had Beatles albums and I think I got my first Beatles album for my sixth birthday,” Mirk said.

Fidler was also influenced by the Beatles, but his experience with rock goes back much further.

“I probably started playing in ‘65, ‘66, something like that, and the Beatles came out in ‘62,” Fidler said. “Actually I started playing guitar about that time.”

Fidler joined a progressive rock group while he was in high school and still jams and tapes with them to this day.

“There’s some three-cord jamming going on, but for the most part it’s independent kind of thinking stuff; it’s weird and different and I really like it,” Fidler said.

Fidler started playing an instrument when he was in elementary school, where he picked up the clarinet and started playing for band class. By the time he was in junior high he was playing a wide assortment of instruments.

“[I] Ended up playing the trombone, piano and drums, and I just really got involved in music in grade school,” Fidler said. “And then I kind of carried that into junior high. [Then] the Beatles came along and changed the world and I wanted to play guitar, so I learned that.”

The Flab Five had only practiced a few times prior to their May 27 show and only a few more times during End-of-Course exams in preparation of the senior assembly June 9, where the band also performed with a set of both Beatles covers and non-Beatles covers for the entire student body and guests, an audience of about 1500.

The band added “I Saw Her Standing There” to the set and a special performance of Bob Dylan’s “Forever Young,” which was met with dimmed lights in the gym and dozens of students raising their hands and their cell phones in the air.

“It’s so cool because we practiced like three times, but playing together was like I’ve been playing together with these guys for a long time,” Fidler said. “It was really cool how it all worked out. They know what music is, every one of these guys know what music they like and they know music. They know how to sing [and] they know how to play their instruments well. It’s just really like a symphony put together.”