Filed under Showcase, Students

Alex Wicks elected lieutenant governor of Key Club district 30

Junior+Alex+Wicks+poses+with+senior+Jaskirat+Kaur.+
Junior Alex Wicks poses with senior Jaskirat Kaur.

What is Key Club and what is your role now as lieutenant governor?

Key Club is an international organization. It is the largest student-led organization in the world so obviously they have lots of different delegates to manage tiny little things so it’s not just one person. There is the international board, which is in charge of everywhere, and that’s broken up into different countries. We are in the Pacific Northwest district which is comprised of about 300 different divisions. They have the district board, and I am what is called a lieutenant governor. I am in charge of one of those 300 divisions. I am in charge of the Key Clubs at Emerald Ridge, Rogers, Puyallup, Sumner, Bonney Lake, White River and Enumclaw [High Schools]. My job is to make sure that all of those Key Clubs are doing everything that they can to be as successful as possible and to help them along with whatever they need and [to] make sure they are not being shady, so-to-speak.

What are your specific duties?

One of the specific duties I will be doing club visits. I am required to do at least two club visits for each school during my term, but I’m probably going to try to do about three or four just because I really want to get to know the clubs as individuals. I’ll be going to the different clubs and speaking about different things that I need to that are upcoming that they need to know about, as well as evaluating the presidents and anyone else who might be leading the club. I will be giving them feedback afterwards about how they can improve their meetings and do a better job.

What was the process you went through to get elected?

First you had to fill out this packet for it and apply to the current lieutenant governor which is Jaskirat Kaur. After that she looks through it and makes sure you’re okay. Then there was a lot of preparation like writing a five minute speech. There was also lots of different questions that I had to memorize the answers to that were about Key Club history and stuff like that. Then we went to our election rally where each school in each division had two different delegates. We gave our speeches and then the voting delegates were able to ask us questions and we answer those on the spot. Jaskirat picked a few questions from the list we memorized and we answered those. Afterwards, all the voting delegates casted their votes and our lieutenant governor and a Kiwanis member counted the votes. Then, I was announced the winner.

How do people in the Emerald Ridge Key Club feel about winning the election two years in a row?

Super Happy. The only time in the whole history of our division 30 that a school has had two people in a row win was White River. They only did that once, so we’ve been able to tie with their record which is amazing. What would be awesome is if we could break the record and win three times in a row. It would just be such a big honor for Emerald Ridge to hold.

What is your role in the ER Key Club

I don’t have a role in the Emerald Ridge Key Club. Once you become lieutenant governor you are not allowed to hold a board member position for a school.

How do you feel about the upgrade in workload you are about to face?

I know it’s going to be a lot of work to do, but I am definitely confident that I am going to be able to tackle it. I just plan on managing my time well and dividing up everything. There is a lot of driving involved so you better have a car with good gas mileage.