Filed under Community

Sunrise expanding yet again

Sunrise master-planned community is adding three new neighborhoods in next few years.

The Sunrise master-planned community, managed by Sunrise Development Corporation of Washington, is beginning yet another phase of mass construction. The neighborhood will become the largest and most populated in South Hill, but when will it really be done?

Sunrise stretches from the entrance ponds on 122nd Avenue East, the land surrounding Sunrise Parkway/Boulevard and all the way to the Sunrise Medical Campus buildings just to the south of 110th Avenue East, totalling 1,467 acres. Emerald Ridge High School itself is within the Sunrise limits, as is Glacier View Junior High. In addition to the already existing subdivisions, three more are scheduled to be built over the next couple of years.

The Rim, North Rim, the Meadows, Cambria, Silverwood, Eagle Ridge, Savannah Ridge, Southwood Estates, Emerald Pointe and Deer Ridge will be joined by the Arbors, the Retreat and Destiny.

The Rim, North Rim, the Meadows, Cambria, Silverwood, Eagle Ridge, Savannah Ridge, Southwood Estates, Emerald Pointe and Deer Ridge will be joined by the Arbors, the Retreat and Destiny.”

The Arbors is a 456,073 square foot plat, or the division of undeveloped land, located just across the street from ER. Construction on three homes has already been completed this year, and roads have been paved. The final design calls for 49 lots, or homes, with an average lot size of 6,218 square feet. According to the Sunrise Master Association website, the lots are currently available and listed for anywhere between $494,950 to $523,370.

Destiny is a 940,460 square foot plat located at the intersection of 122nd Avenue East and Sunrise Boulevard, just up the hill from ER, across the street from the Sierra Sun Apartments. Sunrise applied for 88 plots to be subdivided Oct. 14, and the request was approved by Pierce County with a few modifications, including the elimination of a new church and a possible 22 acre park.

The Pierce County Hearing Examiner has concluded that there will be single-family homes with larger lot sizes, open spaces, additional fire hydrants and more in Destiny. The final plan has yet to be approved.

The final planned neighborhood is the Retreat, located to the north of the Sunrise club house and Cambria and adjacent to the Rim. The plan calls for 49 lots, each with a lot size of 9,729 square feet. The neighborhood will set aside 11 acres for wetlands and storm drainage ponds. The Preliminary Plat Application and Environmental Checklist were filed with Pierce County Aug. 28.

In addition to these new neighborhoods, construction is still ongoing in the Emerald Pointe neighborhood, with more multi-family homes and single-family homes being built, and in Southwood Estates, where the last few lots are soon to be developed.

Land set aside for commercial development has been for sale over much of the previous year at the intersection of 122nd Avenue East and Sunrise Boulevard, and additional land for sale or lease have recently posted orange signs to attract buyers, all within walking distance of ER.

With more homes in ER’s enrollment area, student population could rise, which may cause some problems for the already overcrowded Puyallup School District facilities. ER was built for 1400 students in the main building, but currently serves about 1600 students. The $279.6 million 2013 school bond that would have expanded ER’s capacity to 1800 in the main building was defeated by voters in February of that year.

ER was built for 1400 students in the main building, but currently serves about 1600 students.”

“I don’t think we’ve seen a ton of families come in,” principal Karey Howell said. “Granted, there’s only a few houses right there, but even from those apartments that were built, I thought we would see more. Our enrollment number has stayed virtually the same since I’ve been here the last four or five years.”

Even though the enrollment number has stayed at around 1600 for the past few years, there has been much growth since the school year started. In September JagWire reported that 1570 students were enrolled at ER. Now, there are currently 1595 students enrolled.

Howell said its hard to tell how many high school students the new homes would bring in. The school creates enrollment projections based on data from the state demographer, current high school and junior high populations and a general population projection. Howell estimates that the projected numbers will rise over the next few years because of the houses.

ER would do its best to accommodate students in the event that there is a rise in student population.

“This building was designed, that’s why we have all of those little offices, that it would be filled to capacity, for every room, every period,” Howell said. “If it’s your planning, you would use that office while another class took place in the classroom, which would mean that teachers would be roving.”

The school would try and group teachers so that not one teacher is moving around every class period. The school would also have to be proactive with its hiring, since there has been a lack of math and world language teachers.

The sudden expansion to Sunrise has caught many off guard, since construction had slowed statewide when the Great Recession began in 2008.

“I didn’t know [that] they were building, and all of the sudden I came in and all of the trees were gone one morning,” Howell said. “I was like, ‘What happened to the trees?’”

The Sunrise Master Association has not yet released an updated and complete conceptual master plan for future developments and land use of the remaining land within Sunrise.