Aviation teacher Jeff Coleman returns

ERHS' former aviation teacher has returned after being away for nearly three years.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Aviation teacher Jeff Coleman returns

Aviation teacher Jeff Coleman speaks with senior Thristen Laychaypha.

Jiannaka Limonta

Jiannaka Limonta

Jiannaka Limonta

Jiannaka Limonta, Entertainment Editor

How does it feel to be back here at ER?

Feels like I never left. From a family perspective, it’s nice to be working closer to home. I have a daughter who went to Ballou Junior High and son in Firgrove, so it’s nice to see my children’s athletics and stuff. Honestly, I mean, I was really nervous, knowing that I’d have to teach these kids, but I was actually very comfortable. Yeah, it.. it feels like I never left.

How did your time at Kenmore Air shape you and prepare you to come back here and teach aviation once again?

I think if you can teach high school, you can do just about anything, cause it’s a lot of work and you sort of have to be ‘on’ everyday; especially, you know, teaching high school, and kids are going to eat your lunch if you’re not giving them a good education, if you’re not prepared and doing a good job. So, that prepared me to lead at Kenmore. I left here to direct the flight operations there, so in many ways it was easier to lead 12 pilots or 15 pilots as opposed to 150 high school kids. So, that was really good preparation. And I think having those roles and responsibilities changed the way that I look at things a little bit coming back. I just feel really comfortable; I feel really comfortable coming back. I was a little nervous this morning, you know, like I’m going to have to talk in front of these kids and this is freaky. But after about two minutes it was like I never left and I felt really comfortable. Like I said, the kids are really amazing – they have good attitudes, despite all the chaos they went through, so that’s huge, that really helps. It just made me more confident, more comfortable in my own skin. So yeah, it’s cool. I look at things differently than I did the last time around.

Aviation teacher Jeff Coleman looks at one of the ERHS flight simulators.

What was your first thought finding out that you had the opportunity to come back?

I was nervous. Excited. And, uh, yeah I would just leave it at that: I would just say nervous and excited. The program was in chaos, so a lot of work had to go into getting it back, and so I’m still doing that. Having done this before, I knew the workload, I knew what was going to be required to do it well, so I was a little bit nervous about taking that on again, but also like I said, excited. I love my job. When I left it wasn’t like I was mad or something. So, I’m just very excited to be back. Nervous, you know, can I do this right? And excited for my family and stuff.

How, specifically, does it feel to be back in your former classroom and teaching once again?

I was just telling the other teachers today, it feels very strange. It doesn’t feel like I even left, is how it feels. It’s almost like a dream that I was gone, it wasn’t that long. I mean it was almost three years I was gone, it just sort of feels like it never happened. But I think the different perspective that I bring…my hope is that I will enhance the program with the experience that I gained. Hoping that I can share with kids and be a better resource for kids, [to have] more things to share. But when I was starting my career, I would have died to have somebody who was really experienced that could share those types of things with me and say, ‘you know when you’re planning or whatever, don’t do this because it’s a waste of time, do this.’ So that’s what I hope to do.