Filed under Music, Showcase

Groove for Thought wows ERHS

A cappella group previously featured on the Sing Off performed Friday, Nov. 14

Back to Article
Back to Article

Groove for Thought wows ERHS

A cappella group Groove for Thought performs in ER's auditorium.

Bryanna Putman

Bryanna Putman

Bryanna Putman

The unconventional jazzy sound of Groove for Thought proved to win the hearts (and ears) of many Nov. 14 in the auditorium, receiving a standing ovation at the end of their performance.

The fun-loving group told stories about their journey together and their experience on the American a cappella competition show “The Sing-Off” which they all agreed “made us better as performers” at the Q and A meeting in the auditorium during sixth period where choirs from other schools, such as Rogers High School and Puyallup High School, were invited to take a peek at the group of singers.

Although they are commonly identified as an a cappella group, they merely “dabble” in the art. A majority of their songs are performed with a standard drum set, bongo drums, piano and/or keyboard and a bass guitar.

When they sing, it’s definitely their own style.”

They may not write their own songs, but when they sing, it’s definitely in their own style. When asked how they choose the songs they cover they all seemed to turn their heads toward one person; the tenor and baritone singer as well as main organizer for the group, Kelly Kunz. “There really is no system in place, we like to do a variety.” Kunz said.

This was definitely seen in their performance, singing songs from “I Want it That Way” by the Backstreet Boys to “Joy to the World”. One song in particular, “Take My Hand”, was very special to the group’s tenor, James Niles, which he shared with the audience before performing the song. Niles showed their rendition of the song to his father a few months before he died and it was dedicated to him shortly after he passed away.

Groove for Thought is well-known as a group, but one singer in particular is looking forward to her own career as a musician. Amanda Taylor, lead soprano for the ensemble, recently moved to Nashville to further her vocation in songwriting, with a hope to become a successful soloist.

“Nashville is the capital of songwriting [in America] and I’ve already met a couple of great musicians,” Taylor said before performing her own song, “Strangers of the Heart”.

With Taylor moving to Nashville, Groove for Thought hadn’t practiced all together in almost six months until the night before they performed at Emerald Ridge, but it certainly didn’t show.

The night ended with a meet and greet in the commons, where the Groove for Thought members happily took pictures with and talked to people. They certainly lived up to their slogan, “Seven distinct voices. One amazing sound.”