Beauty and The Beast Review

Khaleah Nix, Reporter

On March 17th, 2017, Bill Condon’s $160 million live-action remake of Beauty and The Beast hit theaters. The film earned a 7.9/10 on IMDb and a 70% on Rotten Tomatoes. The film comes out to 2 hours and 9 minutes and it’s rated PG for action, violence, peril, and frightening images. It starred Emma Watson as Belle, Dan Stevens as the Beast, and Luke Evans as Gaston, and the screenplay was written by Stephen Chbosky and Evan Spiliotopoulos. The film has been largely successful thus far with mostly positive reviews and a gross revenue of $352 million.

Despite the overall approval of the film from its audience, Beauty and the Beast has been critiqued as too overdone and shiny; focusing more on the design and less on the plot. The film was almost as successful as the 1991 Beauty and The Beast, which earned a 8/10 on IMDb and had a gross revenue of $425 million, although the original outshined the remake regarding reviews, this film is still a worthwhile and enjoyable watch. It provides a nostalgic feeling with a brilliant cast.

“With an enchanting cast, beautifully crafted songs, and a painterly eye for detail, Beauty and the Beast, offers a faithful yet fresh retelling that honors its beloved source material,” Rotten Tomatoes said.

The original fairytale of Beauty and the Beast was written by Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumont in 1756 and appeared in a Children’s Collection book. The story follows a man with 6 children, 3 of them daughters. The youngest and most beautiful is Beauty, who is described as a juxtaposition to her wicked and selfish older sisters, as she is kind, well-read, and pure of heart.

In the new installment, not much has changed with the plot. Belle opens up with a musical number about longing for more out of life, and not long after the foul and womanizing Gaston is introduced as a war hero with Le Fou alongside him. Just like the original Gaston, he is captivated by Belle’s beauty and demands that she be his wife. Belle, of course, refuses as she does not want to settle down with someone as boring and brainless as Gaston. Eventually, Belle’s father, Maurice, leaves for a journey and Belle requests a single rose as a gift. Maurice gets caught in a storm and ends up in what seems like an abandoned castle. While treating himself to food and warming himself up by the fire, Maurice gets increasingly creeped out by the atmosphere of the castle and quickly exits. On his way out through the garden, Maurice spots a rose bush and goes to take one for Belle. The Beast, angered by this, imprisons Maurice for stealing. Maurice’s horse makes a getaway back to Belle, who goes to the castle and takes her father’s place as a prisoner. The cursed household items, Lumiere, Cogsworth, and Mrs. Potts, immediately grow fond of Belle and become determined to make her fall in love with the Beast. After spending time with him, Belle does eventually fall in love with the Beast; which is what will save him from his curse in the end.

Some things in the remake are different than the original. For example, Belle is an inventor and the Beast can read. The film also provides backstory for Belle’s mother and her death, as well as backstory for the servants in the castle that turned into household items. The new film has all the original songs and stays faithful to the plot, making it a fun and enjoyable movie for anyone who enjoys Disney’s films.