Both Sides of the Presidential Election

Payton Reid and KayCee Bradley, Editorial Board and Reporter

After the long, intense night of anticipation, November 8th finally came to a close with the votes counted and tears shed. The 2016 Presidential Election left a bad taste in the mouth of students, teachers, and a majority of citizens alike after the months of arguing over candidates while heading face first into each and every scandal. The results rolled in just before midnight, announcing Donald J. Trump will take office in January, 2017.

“Beforehand I felt very anxious because the nation was so greatly divided,” said Emerald Ridge junior Harry Furey, “and I’m disappointed in the results.”

Despite her loss, Hillary Clinton held her own in the polls, and even won the popular vote. Trump’s win has been accredited to the Electoral College which has sparked major controversy across the country.

The Electoral College is process consisting of 538 electors who cast their votes for President and Vice President, which are then counted by congress before the majority winner is announced. The criticism mainly lies in the fact that on occasion, such as the 2016 election, the elected president is not who the public truly wanted.

“Once again I felt the Electoral College let down the Democratic party, and I do believe we should get rid of it all together since Clinton had more votes from the citizens but Trump won overall,” said Furey. “The whole system does not seem fair or necessary anymore.”

Rallies and protests have been seen in Seattle, Portland, New York, Chicago, and Arizona over the past week. The running theme being signs painted with sayings such as “Not My President” or “No More Electoral College” in rebellion to the electoral system the United States has used since the 1780’s.

Candidates from earlier this year have not been forgotten, but some have spoken out more than others about their feelings on Trump’s win. Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders has been consistently vocal about his feelings on Trump, and firmly believes that no matter the results people should be standing up for their rights.

“When millions of people stand up and fight back, we will not be denied,” said Sanders.

In contrast to Senator Sanders, Texas Senator Ted Cruz met with the President-elect at Trump Tower earlier this week. Cruz ran as a Republican party candidate until his withdrawal from the election in early May, 2016.

“[Cruz] looks forward to assisting the Trump administration,” said Catherine Frazier, a Cruz spokeswoman, though no position has been specified.

The amount of slander and hatred seen in interviews, to posts on social media from the candidates, and even directly in the Presidential debates has caused many citizens to lose trust or compassion for both parties. The question has been risen whether or not President-elect Trump will be able to handle himself professionally now that his campaign is over.

“My biggest concern from the beginning of the election is that Trump will act on his temper, making him lose the sense that he is controlling something much bigger than himself and may initiate conflict without realizing the consequences.” said Furey. “I feel party doesn’t necessarily matter as long as the president is an intelligent person that cares about their nation.”

A wave of pro-Trump activism has followed election day, seen mostly in white supremacist vandalism reported all over the nation, such as a Maryland church that was spray painted with the words “Trump Nation, Whites Only” on their sign. A writer for BreitBart.com, by the name of A.J Delgado, strongly disagrees that the acts of vandalism are negative.

“Trump is already changing America for the better – and is encouraging us to boldly stand up for our beliefs,” Delgado said in his article 20 Reasons Why It Should Be Trump in 2016.

Both Republicans and Democrats have their concerns for the upcoming presidency of Donald Trump, but that is to be expected with nearly all past, present, and future election the United States will see. Only time will tell the outcome of this election, but as long as the voices of the citizens are heard, accepted, and understood under every circumstance, fundamental rights will be protected and the nation will continue to grow.

“Make America Great Again,” is the quote everybody knows Donald Trump supporters are standing by.

On November 8th you could’ve felt 3 different moods: sad, ecstatic, or simply didn’t care.

“That was the best birthday present I got when I saw the results of the election. I couldn’t stand it if Hillary won, with all of her lying, she is a snake,” sophomore Chloe Johnson said.

Johnson also posted on social media of her wanting Trump to win. So many people have talked about this election, yet they haven’t even watched the debates.

“We want Hillary to win because Trump talks down on women, and wants to build a wall to ban everybody from coming to the U.S.” is an example of something nearly every Hillary supporter said. We find out later though, some of the allegations of Trump disrespecting women were false as he wasn’t even in the state at the same time that they said this happened.

Trump is going to possibly build the wall to stop illegal immigrants from coming into our country and using government subsidies, such as healthcare, food stamps, and housing. “ Current position: Trump says he will deport millions, but he has not ruled out creating a pathway to citizenship. He’ll build a wall, pay for said wall, but later he’ll get reimbursed by Mexico. “ Trump told NBC news.

“You have people coming in, and I’m not just saying Mexicans, I’m talking about people that are from all over that are killers and rapists and they’re coming into this country,” Trump said on MSNBC.

Trump is a businessman who is very smart and knows how to run businesses very smartly. He is the President-elect now, and will start making actual decisions go into place in late of January, 2017.

Even Russia has had a lot to say about the election. ETF News wrote an article that stated, “ A grim Ministry of Defense (MoD) report circulating in the Kremlin today states that during President Putin’s meeting earlier today with Aerospace Defense Forces (ADF) commanders where he ordered them to accelerate the deployment of at least two more missile attack early warning system satellites, he further warned these military leaders about the facts regarding the American presidential election by stating to them: “If it’s Hillary Clinton, it’s war”.”.

Hillary started to lack during her campaign, she was so confident in herself and her states that she didn’t even return to some states to continue campaigning before the election.

“Wisconsin is such a solidly blue state that Hillary Clinton didn’t feel the need to campaign there in her general-election battle against Donald Trump. That turned out to be a mistake,” the business insider said.

A usually democratic state sure did end up blue by the end of the election as Trump took Wisconsin.

Trump is the president-elect as of right now, and in January, there could be a lot of changes in our country.

America will be made great again.