Upcoming Artist of Emerald Ridge

Payton Reid, Editorial Board

weightless-cropped“To create art with all the passion in one’s soul is to live art with all the beauty in one’s heart.”

Aberjhani (historian, columnist, novelist, poet)

Emerald Ridge will never have a shortage of talented artists. Among them is senior Alishia Yoon, who not only participates in choir, but theatre, ceramics, and practices art in her spare time as well.

Aside from current schooling and education, Yoon says her main focus is on the art she creates at a studio she goes to every Tuesday and Saturday. Physical art may be the passion she’s most dedicated to, but is by no means her only interest, or even newest activity.

“I really do like music, I’m in concert and chamber choir, and I’ve done theatre most of my life,” Yoon said.

Both the musical skills she has as well as acting were seen in the 2016 Emerald Ridge production of Hairspray by originally written by Mark O’Donnell with music by Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman. The play was one of the most successful musicals in years at Emerald Ridge, in which Yoon played a character that mostly sang.

“I’ve been into music from a pretty early age, I learned piano when I was around 5 and did that for around 7 years then I went on to do choir,” Yoon said.

With arts in her life from such an early age, Yoon is definitely interested in going to college to pursue it as a career. Her preferences all remain out of state, such as art schools in New York and down the upper east coast, but the process of putting together a portfolio to display her work and accomplishments is not an easy feat. This task takes the long process of sorting through best works in order to present what exactly she can do. With a good support system and natural talent she possesses, the outcome will be well worth the effort.

“It took a little bit of getting used to but my family totally supports me now, and my friends are really supportive too,” Yoon said.

Talent comes naturally but actually developing skills takes time, practice, and motivation. Yoon would like to turn her passion and hobby into a career someday, so she willingly offered some advice for fellow artists who might feel the disheartening struggle of not feeling steady in their pathway. Yoon urges everyone in a similar situation to not give up and remember practicing is the most important thing, no matter how cliché it may sound.

“I’ve seen her work on her instagram because she has an art account, and I think it’s really good,” said Abriana Wilson, a fellow ceramics student. “I wonder how she does some of the things she makes, they’re very good.”

Aside from painting or drawing, Yoon says 3-dimensional art is by far her favorite including ceramics, clay, and sculpting. After only diving knee deep into her art for a few years, Yoon has grown as an artist with support/inspiration from her friends, family, and school.

“My biggest influence would have to be my grandpa since he does a lot of wood sculptures and I actually have some of his sketchbooks. He’s always supported me.” Yoon said. “Art is all I really want to do, and it has always meant a lot to me.