Album releases of 2016

Payton Reid, Reporter

journalismAnthrax, “For All Kings”

The 11th studio album from the thrash metal group consists of 11 tracks inspired by both personal experiences the band has had along with track six being written about the 2015 attack on the headquarters of Charlie Hebdo. Despite their formation being in the 80’s, Anthrax sold 2.5 million records in the U.S from 1991 to 2004 and consistently make music to this day.

tonight alive

Tonight Alive, “Limitless”

The Australian rock band formed in 2008 has prepared a new album to be released March 4, 2016. Most known for consistent attendance at the Vans Warped Tour in the summer, Tonight Alive announced this January that the five band members will be supporting All Time Low on a spring tour.

ass

The 1975, “I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware of It”

Set to be released on February 26, 2016, is the second studio album from British alternative rock band, The 1975, following their self titled album from mid-2013. The band has toured internationally over the years and I like it when you sleep comes with numerous U.S tour dates as well as ones spread across the UK.

bitcher

Violent Femmes, “We Can Do Anything”

We Can Do Anything will be the first studio album from Violent Femmes since 2000. The alternative folk/punk band announced the album will be debuted March 4, 2016 and will consist of songs frontman Gordon Gano found that were originally demos from previous albums.

igggyggygygygygyygyg

Iggy Pop, “Post Pop Depression”

Post Pop Depression, the 17th studio album by Iggy Pop, is to be released on March 18, 2016 after being recorded in secrecy since 2015. The record was recorded in secrecy with the help of Josh Homme, founder of Queen of the Stone Age, and features drummer Matt Helders of Arctic Monkeys.

gwen

Gwen Stefani, “This Is What the Truth Feels Like”

Described by American singer and songwriter Gwen Stefani as a “breakup record,” “This Is What the Truth Feels Like” will be released on March 18, 2016 despite its original release date being late 2014. After her recent divorce with Gavin Rossdale, lead singer of Bush, Stefani managed to finish the album in just a few months as her third solo record.

piss

Zayn, “Mind of Mine”

Not long after his departure from One Direction, singer Zayn Malik set the release date of his first solo album for March 25, 2016. The single, Pillow Talk, will be featured as track two on “Mind of Mine” where it will be accompanied by an undisclosed number of other R&B pop/rock songs done by Malik reflecting on the last five years of his life. 

zappapapap

Miranda Lambert and Zac Brown, “Southern Family”

Producer Dave Cobb compiled a concept album featuring some the biggest names in country, including Miranda Lambert, Zac Brown, Brandy Clark, and more. Appropriately titled “Southern Family”, the concept record is inspired by the storytelling of growing up in a family based in the south, and is to be released March 18, 2016.

ugly Man

Jeff Buckley, “You & I”

Though the folk-rock singer passed away in 1997, his mother plans to release a 20th anniversary edition of his debut album, “Grace,” on March 11 of this year. The album consists of one never before heard song and nine covers of various artists, which is how Buckley started his career in the 80’s.

ourororo

Ray LaMontagne, “Ouroboros”

Indie-folk singer and songwriter Ray LaMontagne released his newest album, “Ouroboros,” online in January but the official record release date is March 14,  2016. LaMontagne has five previous albums that has been compared to work of Otis Redding and Nick Drake for his soul and blues inspired vocals.