Bye Bye Birdie preview amazes

The Emerald Ridge music and theatre department perform a sneak peak of the spring musical Feb. 25.

The cast of the upcoming Emerald Ridge musical,

The cast of the upcoming Emerald Ridge musical, "Bye Bye Birdie," perform a preview at the winter sports assembly Feb. 19.

Chase Charaba

Chase Charaba

Jordan Bowers, Reporter

The stage is set, the boys and girls are prepared and the costumes are ready. The Emerald Ridge High School spring musical, “Bye Bye Birdie,” has arrived.

The students have been preparing for the musical since December and the time has finally come for the students to shine on stage and sing their hearts out. Feb. 25 was the preview of the musical and it was a full house with students climbing mountains of other students, hoping that they would get a seat so that they could get a glimpse of what “Bye Bye Birdie” is all about.

The students may look well prepared and composed on stage, but with a glimpse behind the scene it is like a zoo. People are constantly moving, shouting and trying to get makeup on and hair gelled. It looked like chaos. But, all of it is well worth it with the amazing performance the cast put on.

Senior Austin Fisher was confident that the preview would be a success and that everyone would love it.

“I’m nervous because I have never been in a play or anything like this before, but I think that it’ll be awesome,” Fisher said.

It is not only the actors that create a great show. You can’t have a great show without some great lighting and direction. Senior Hollie Woods is the stage manager and is in charge of all the lighting, but she wasn’t nervous about opening night.

“It’s not nerve racking for me, since I won’t be the one on stage,” Woods said.

She said that if something happens to go wrong with the lights, they make it seem like there wasn’t a mistake and try to fix it.

Showings for “Bye Bye Birdie” were Feb. 26, 27 and 28, and upcoming showings are March 5, 6 and 7 at 7 p.m.

To learn more about the show and to read the full in-depth review of “Bye Bye Birdie,” look out for the print edition of JagWire that drops March 13.